Cocuy National Park Trek
El Cocuy National Park is a mountain formation located in the north of the eastern mountain range of Colombia, having the largest snow mass of Colombia, being also a place with great views, several lakes & waterfalls. This ecosystem has more than 22 snowy peaks having the highest point at 5.330 m.a.s.l (17,500 ft). We can offer 2-, 3- or 5-days expeditions to this marvelous mountain destination. The 2 day experience is designed for people who want a quick visit to get to the snow-border line located at 4.900 m.a.s.l. (16,000 ft); the 3 day expedition is the most popular experience as in it, people can see two of the most important trails there; Finally, the 5 day expedition is designed for those who want to explore the national park to the fullest.
DAY 1: (07:00) – Meeting at Güican or Cocuy town. After that, breakfast in typical restaurant, registration and talk with the national park authorities, then you will take a guided tour in the town with historical and indigenous thematic. Later on, you will have lunch in the town and then you will be taken in 4×4 cars to the cabin where you will check-in. Subsequently you will do an acclimatization hike of 4 kms in the surrounding area. At night you will have dinner and rest in the cabin with all the basic facilities.
DAY 2: (04:30) – Breakfast in the cabin and then transportation in 4×4 vehicles to the middle entrance of the National Park at 3.900 m.a.s.l, (12,800 ft) where you will begin the hike of the day towards Laguna Grande de la Sierra trail, attempting to get to the snow border-line at 4.900 m.a.s.l. (16,000 ft). Have an outdoors lunch on the way and then start the hike back to the national park entrance completing a trek of approximately 20 kms of length. Then you will be transported back to the cabin in 4×4 vehicles and will have dinner and rest there.
DAY 3: (04:30) – Breakfast in the cabin and then transportation in 4×4 vehicles to the south entrance of the National Park at 3900 m.a.s.l. (12,800 ft), where you will begin the hike of the day towards Púlpito del diablo trail attempting to get to the snow border-line at 4900 m.a.s.l. (16,000 ft) having an outdoors lunch on the way and then starting the hike back to the national park entrance completing a trek of approximately 18 kms of length. Then you will be transported back to the cabin in 4×4 vehicles and will have dinner and rest there.
DAY 4: (08:00) – Breakfast in the cabin and then transportation in 4×4 vehicles to Guican town, where you will have a city-tour visiting artisans stores that work with wool and other local materials for its handicrafts. After that you will have lunch and subsequently you will be taken to some natural hot-springs near the town where you can relax after two challenging days. At the end of the day you will be taken to a different cabin in the northern part of the national park where you will have dinner and rest.
DAY 5: (05:30) – Breakfast in the cabin and then transportation in 4×4 vehicles to the northern entrance of the National Park at 3900 m.a.s.l. (12.800 ft), where you will begin the hike of the day towards Ritak’uwa Blanco trail attempting to get to the snow border-line at 4900 m.a.s.l. (16.000 ft) passing by the Playitas river valley, having an outdoors lunch on the way and then starting the hike back to the national park entrance completing a trek of approximately 13 kms of length. Then you will be transported back in 4×4 to the cabin where you will have dinner and will end the experience in Güican or Cocuy town.
Normally we can add a night extra at Guican town in order to complete 5-nights and return to Bogotá on the 6th day or some people travel overnight on that 5th day.
*The sequence order of the days might change depending on convenience, climate, physical sensation of the travelers or availability at the cabins or trail permits on the days of the expedition.
2022-2023 Price per person in US$ for private departures: (price is subject to currency exchange fluctuations)
"Yes, sadly we are back! All went really well and all 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed the trip - Colombia is a wonderful country. The organisation was faultless and, with quite a bit of travelling between venues, all went very smoothly - Edwin had it all taped. We'll have to start thinking about the next one now!" Richard
• 4 nights of accommodation in beds in basic rural cabins.
• All the meals during the trip.
• City tour with historical and indigenous thematic in Güican or Cocuy town.
• All the internal transfers in 4x4 cars between Güican town - National Park - El Cocuy town.
• Acclimatization hike on the first day.
• Mountain trek at Laguna Grande de la Sierra trail.
• Mountain trek at Púlpito del Diablo trail.
• Mountain trek at Ritak’uwa blanco trail.
• Visit of the natural hot springs of Güican + visit of local productive processes in the surrounding villages.
• Spanish-speaking mountain guides (1 guide every 4 people).
• Travel Assistance Card.
• Transportation Bogotá – Cocuy / Güican – Bogotá (or from any other city), which we can help you to coordinate by ground.
• Entrance Fee to El Cocuy National Park: • 38.500 COP - Colombians older than 25 years old. • 79.000 COP - Foreigners older than 25 years old. • 22.500 COP - Students under 25 years old showing their student ID.
• Snacks & Souvenirs
• Other expenses not explicit in the plan
EXTRAS AND OPTIONS FOR THE TRIP
• Coordination of transportation in buses or connections to the closest airports to El Cocuy from big cities.
• Accommodation the night before or the night after to the expedition at El Cocuy area. The lodging can be either in small hotels in surrounding towns or in rural cabins.
• Other languages speaking guides or translators (For this we need to confirm availability of the guides). From 87 USD per group per day.
2023 group departure dates for 3 day tour : APRIL 29 - 01 may, MAY 20 - 22, JUNE 10 - 12, 17 - 19, JULY 01 - 03, 20 - 22, AUGUST 05 - 07, 19 - 21
2023 price per person, double occupancy for group tours: COL 987,500
For Group departures:
- Before a sale, it is necessary that you ask us if there is room in those open tours, as we need to confirm availability of accommodations, logistics and especially airplane tickets, as some destinations have limited flights per week.
- The group size depends on the destination, but we aim to have groups between 6-12 people on those trips, so people won't really find too large groups.
- The dates given here are guaranteed if the tour was sold, no matter if there are cancellations from other travelers. Likewise, special charges may apply if you cancel your attendance to those open group dates.
- Most of the open group dates tours are with spanish-speaking guides, according to that, in case of needing a bilingual translator, we need to check availability of them and check the prices for it.
- Many of the travelers on open group dates are bilingüal (spanish - english), so sometimes people decide not to hire a translator as other travelers might help with the translation.
- the earlier the reservations can be made, as a better price for the flight tickets can be given and it will be easier to confirm availability.
- Some destinations are closed for some weeks or even months during the year due to reasons like indigenous requests or authorities policies that are normally communicated in advance.
- We will always have the private tour option which also can be customized according to the traveler's needs.