Explora Patagonia - Salto Chico
This lodge is located right at the heart of the extraordinary Torres del Paine National Park in central Patagonia. It is the only lodge at the center of the Park.
The Explora Patagonia hotel lodge opened in 1993 on the banks of the Salto Chico waterfall. It affords an excellent view of the unique Paine Massif and two of the three impressive torres, or towers, which give the park its name. Situated on a 3-hectare (7.4-acre) site, the design borrows certain organic forms from the landscape itself, adapting to it with simple elegance. It was designed to create a dialogue with its environment, putting human beings in touch with the sublimity of their surroundings. For travelers, the lodge provides the welcome surprise of comfort in a remote area; nonetheless, you are not isolated from nature, but placed “within” it.
The lodge has 50 comfortable rooms, all with captivating views, silence and privacy. The sophisticated design incorporates native lenga wood (nothofagus pumilio) and cypress brought from the Guaitecas Archipelago, while the floor is made of almond wood. Each room has a small living area, hydromassage bath and beds designed for deep, pleasurable sleep after a day of exploration. Finally, we provide you with a unique treat: the rooms are television-free.
Located 100 meters (109 yards) from the lodge and reached by a sloping wooden walkway, this bath house has a heated indoor swimming pool, a sauna and four open-air jacuzzis, all with views of Lago Pehoé and Macizo del Paine. Here you can also enjoy different types of massage with essential oils, such as therapeutic, relaxing or energizing massage.
Patagonia is more than just pristine landscapes; it is home to the unique and legendary gaucho culture. You can drink “mate” tea with gauchos and watch them shear sheep, drive livestock, break in horses and carry out other typical ranching tasks on this 6,000-hectare (14,826-acre) estancia, which belongs to explora and is located 53 kilometers (33 miles) from the lodge. Hotel Salto Chico is the only lodge in the area with its own horses, which have been bred and trained especially for our travelers to ride.
The cuisine offers authentic flavors based on the best-quality ingredients, many of which are produced locally. The food is healthy and well-balanced, ideal for people going trekking, horseback riding or on other explorations while staying with us at this Patagonia luxury hotel. The menus include some of the best local dishes, such as Magellanic lamb, southern king crab and delicious fish and vegetables.
To accompany your meal, you may choose from a wide variety of wines from the Gracia, Porta, Agustinos and Veranda wineries. They have different varietals from Chile's main wine-producing areas. If you would like to explore Chilean wine in greater depth, you may wish to consult our premium list; these wines are available at additional charge.
The hotel will offer its travelers hotel pick and drop off services to the hotel from Punta Arenas and Puerto Natales every day of the year according to the following timetable, except for the period between December 21 and January 22, when we work with fixed dates of arrival.
Additionally, between October 30 and March 31, there will a shuttle service at 09:00 from/to the city of Calafate (Argentina) every four (4) days according to their schedule.
PICK UP TIMETABLEPick up from Punta Arenas:
Hotels: Travelers will be picked up from the respective hotels between 08:00 and 09:00. The specific time will be confirmed by their reservations team.
Airport: At 9:20 and 14:50, shuttle service to the hotel, free of charge. (Timetable could vary depending on flight arrival times).
Additionally, at 10:40 and 19:00 there will be an extra shuttle service between the airport and the hotel, at an additional cost of USD 150 per person. (A minimum of two travelers is required for this service to operate. Timetables could vary depending on flight arrival times).
Pick up from Puerto Natales:
Hotels: Travelers will be picked up from their respective hotels between 13:00 and 14:00; specific time to be confirmed by their reservations team.
Airport: At 14:40, shuttle service to the hotel free of charge. (Timetable could vary depending on flight arrival times).
DROP OFF TIMETABLE
*All schedules subject to changes due to weather, road and other conditions.
Check-in and check-out
Check-in: We recommend early morning arrival to make the most of your stay.
Check-out: We intend for your last day to be an exploration day. When leaving in the morning for a full-day exploration, or when leaving the hotel for an afternoon exploration, explora will take care of your luggage. Check-out must be before noon, but travelers are welcome to have lunch at the hotel.
"The Hotel Salto Chico and the Torres del Paine Park are even better than the description on your web site. The hotel rates may be high, but they are all inclusive and worth every penny. From the time we were picked up at the Dreams hotel in Punta Arenas to the moment we were let off are the airport for the return flight to Santiago, everything was taken care of at no additional cost:
* It’s a five hour drive from Punta Arenas to hotel Salto Chico, half of the time on dirt roads, but it includes a free lunch stop at a resort hotel with a choice of meals and drinks included. The drive also allowed time for us to get acquainted with 4 other guests, who became good friends during our stay in the park.
* Always get a room with a view of the Torres del Paine Massif, as we did. The view from our room window was stunning and worth the hotel price alone.
* A free bar, great food, and entertainment every evening at the hotel, made for an excellent day’s end after hiking.
* The staff were unfailing helpful, and the guides limit each hiking group to 8 people or less. They also quietly assess your hiking capabilities, and make suggestions each evening for the next day’s excursions based on what they think you can do and enjoy. Apparently they also organize each group so that everyone in the group has about the same capabilities."
Explora is offering this special benefit for you to explore later without the need to set your trip’s date and destination now. Until August 31, 2020, for every USD 1000 voucher you purchase, you will receive an extra USD 500 in credit. This travel voucher is a certificate that you purchase today to be used for future bookings at any of the Explora Hotels. It has a minimum cost of USD 1000, meaning that for every USD 1000 that you purchase, you get an extra USD 500 to use for purchase for your future stay.
Booking date: Until August 31, 2020
Travel date: Check-out until October 31, 2022.
- You can change your booking date twice up to 7 days before your check-in, with a new staying date with check-out until October 31, 2022.
- You can use the balance remaining in your voucher in hotel services, including massages, premium wines, optional explorations, etc.
- Once you have purchased your voucher, you can make your booking whenever you wish.
- Not valid for Christmas, New Year, Tapati, and Carnival holidays.
- Not valid for Torres del Paine and El Chaltén between November 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022.
- Changes for stays ending on October 31, 2022 are allowed. No rescheduling stays after that date. - If there is a difference to pay, it must be paid 30 days before check-in.
Travel safe with Explora
Explora is offering a special and fully flexible travel insurance for only USD 180 per person, that will allow for last-minute booking reschedules or cancellations a full refund and no penalties. Forget all inconveniences. If your flight is cancelled, you have health issues, or other emergencies, you can look for the most convenient solution with full flexibility. This insurance is valid for all Explora Hotels.
- Booking cancellation or changes available up to 24 hours before check-in.
- This insurance is valid to be used only once.
- This insurance covers services rendered by explora only, not those by third-parties.
- Valid for force majeure events; grounded flights; border closures; traveler’s illness or risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Proof documents will be required for insurance activation.
- Once the rescheduling insurance has been used, the change and cancellation policies of the new booking will apply.
- The USD 180 cost of this travel insurance is per person.
- This insurance must be purchased at the time of booking.
- Not refundable or transferable.
Rates per person, double occupancy in US$
Rates May 1 - Sept. 30, 2020
Single Rates: A 15% additional charge applies for single rooms for above dates .
Rates Oct 1-31, 2020 + April 1-30, 2021
Single Rates: A 34% additional charge applies for single rooms for above dates .
Rates Nov. 1 - Dec. 20, 2020 + Jan. 6 - March 31, 2021
Ask for rates during Dec. 21-2020 and Jan. 5, 2021 - only available for 4 or 6 nights
Single Rates: A 70 % additional charge applies for single rooms for above dates .
Family rates per person
Single Rates: A 100 % additional charge applies for single rooms .
Children under the age of 3 complimentary when sharing room with their parents. Maximum of 1 extra bed in room. Teen rate applies between April and September only.
In addition to lodging and the various guided explorations on foot or horseback, rate includes: