More than just a place to stay, Hacienda is a way to get immersed into the Ecuadorian culture, rather than looking at it from afar.
Zuleta includes 2,112 hectares of pasture land, forest and protected areas of native primary forest. The hacienda’s production consists mainly in milk; with approximately 300 Holstein-Friesian cows. They produce 6,000 liters of milk daily, which is used to produce fresh and aged cheeses in Zuleta’s cheese factory.
Other products are potatoes, barley, wheat, trout, and approximately 2000 sheep for wool and meat and 900 tons of humus per year from the worm farm. Zuleta also has a beautiful organic garden where they produce 25 different vegetables, herbs and fruits for their own use. They have almost 100 horses, some pure Andalusians and some polo horses, and a mix of Andalusian, quarterhorse and thoroughbred. The workers use the horses for transportation inside the hacienda and guests or family ride the horses for their pleasure.
All of their guestrooms are located in the main building of the hacienda. As the structure of the original colonial building could not be drastically changed, every room has its different shape and charm. They have three different types of room: Junior Suite, Hacienda Deluxe and Hacienda Standard room.
The double beds are queen or king size, with feather pillows and down comforters. While guests are enjoying their dinner, room service staff place hot water bottles with beautiful embroidered cases in every bed and light the fireplaces. Suites for families and adjoining rooms are available. Satellite television, movies and games are available at any time in one of the living rooms, as well as coffee,soft drinks and bar service. Phone calls can be made from the public areas and offices. Wi-Fi is available in all parts of the farm house and a computer with 24/7 internet service is also available for guests.
Fresh milk and cream from Zuleta’s dairy cows are offered daily. Handmade Ecuadorian cheeses are produced from the farm’s fresh milk and carefully crafted in the small factory near the guesthouse. Rainbow trout are caught moments before melting in your mouth, making this a true Ecuadorian cuisine moment. Fresh organic fruit and vegetables are picked from the expansive garden to make unforgettable salads and freshly squeezed juices.The recipes used have been passed from generation to generation. Many of the dishes served are so unique you will not encounter them elsewhere, making your dining experience an truly Ecuadorian cultural experience.
Miles of meandering roads through lush pastureland, pine trees and eucalyptus forest make the valley of Zuleta a paradise for outdoor activities, such as hiking and trekking. They have bred horses, mountain bikes and a horse drawn carriage upon which you can explore the area. At the Hacienda itself, guests can find out more information about the trails in the activity room - there are options for every interest and fitness level.
Zuleta boasts one of the most exclusive stables in Ecuador. It is also known for its Zuleteño horse, a unique mixture of Spanish – Andalusian, English and Quarter horses, with a perfect disposition for trailriding. Riders will have numerous opportunities to explore the Andean countryside along high altitude trails (between 9,000 and 11,000 feet).It’s the “páramo” that makes the experience an authentic South America horseback riding adventure.
They offer six mountain bikes size 15” to 18.5” as well as helmets. They have many trails perfect for biking, and are happy to drive guests to the top of a nearby hill so their can enjoy the descent back to Zuleta! For their own safety we always recommend the use of a helmet
Zuleta surroundings make this place the perfect location for hiking and trekking. As there are numerous options of trails for every interest and fitness level. Guest can inform them of their preferences and they are more than happy to help them plan their trekking and hiking adventure around the farm. They can hike with a local guide who can give them some information on the way, or if they prefer to go alone, they can easily follow the self-guided signs along the trails and roads.
The Ecuadorian countryside offers many fun optional activities for children. Enjoying the outdoors, the animals, gardening, farming and local traditions makes Hacienda Zuleta the ideal place for your family vacation.
• Milking a cow
• Dress like a typical chagra cowboy or zuleteña princess!
• Become an architect and build your own straw hut
• Bonfire and S’mores
• Cooking and embroidery lesson
2020 rates per person, per night:
Hacienda Jr. Suite - 30 square meters (Single, double, triple, Quadruple only with children. king size or twin beds, desk, two chairs, sofa corner, fireplace,cupboard, two luggage racks = US$507
Hacienda Deluxe Room - 20 square meters(single, double or triple, Queen size or twin beds, desk,two chairs, cupboard, fireplace,two luggage racks. = US$435
Hacienda Standard Room - 12-15 square meters (single or double matrimonial only, Queen size bed, desk, two chairs, fireplace, cupboard, luggage rack. No extra bed possible. = US$315
Single Supplement = 30%
• Infants up to 3 years stay free
• Children under 12 years of age cost 50% of the rate (sharing the room with their parents)
• 3 nights stays, get a short ride as a courtesy of the house
The rate is per person/night and includes the following:
• 22% of taxes (12% of governmental tax plus 10% of servicecharge).
• European style breakfast, 3-course lunch menu, afternoon snack,3-course dinner menu.
Note: Menus are planned upon guests preferences. Vegetarian/vegan, and lactose-free options are available.
• Non-alcoholic beverages (fresh juice, soft drinks, mineral water),morning & afternoon tea or coffee.
• Visits to:
1. Condor Rehabilitation Center and flying condor viewpoint(unique in Ecuador!); without guide.
2. Extensive gardens and pond (with a host).
3. Chapel (with a host).
4. 60 km of self-guided trails (without guide).
5. Visit to the community and to different sites of interest including embroidery stores, saddle factories, museums, etc.(without guide).
6. 14th century Caranqui archeological pyramids (without guide).
7. 1,700 hectares Hacienda grounds and farm operations:cheese museum, organic vegetable garden, worm farm, milking sheds, trout farm (with a host).
8. Foundation ́s involvement: Community library and embroidery shop (with a host)
Other Services & Facilities not included in lodging rate:
The Horse Breeding Barn & Riding School:
• Trail rides and day excursions
• Riding lessons(beginners)
• Special programs with children: horse care
• Rides in the horse drawn carriage
• Embroidery lessons
• Cooking lesson
• Guided bird and condor watching
• Private milking lessons
• Qualified nanny service
• Guided excursions
• Guided Tour of the colonial city of Ibarra and the Otavalo Indian Market.
• Transfers to/from the hacienda
• Phone calls
Terms & Policies
• 50% of reservation should be paid to be confirmed
• The balance should be paid 3 months before the arrival date
• Last minute bookings should be paid in 100% to be confirmed
• All extra charges incurred while clients staying at the Hacienda can be paid with cash, check or credit card
• Reservations for lodging can-celled within 60 days of stay will be given a 100% refund.
Reservations cancelled between 59 and 30 days before arrival will be given a 50% refund.
Reservations cancelled less than 29 days before arrival will not be refunded
• There is a surcharge of USD $ 61 per person, on December 24th and 31st.
Rates valid from January 1st to December 31st 2020.
The prices are subject to change without notice• Administrative expenses, bank transfer fees and governmental taxes will be deducted of all refunds