Here are some options that should appeal to that type of traveler:
Some of the traditional haciendas in Ecuador, such as Zuleta, have supported their local communities for years, providing jobs, schools, health care and more.
- the Sun and Moon pyramids near Trujillo
- Kuelap (the "Machu Picchu of the north") and the other ruins and relics and waterfalls in Chachapoyas, the land of the "Cloud People"
- Cahuachi, near Nazca. This was a site with 25 temples, built about 2000 years ago by the Paracas culture
- Lencois Marenhenses, with it's dunes and lagoons and the Delta do Parnaiba
- Serra da Capivara - largest gallery of ancient rock art in the world
- see the exhuberant wildlife in the Ibera National Park - the "Pantanal" of Argentina
- explore the "outback" of Argentina